Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Small Space, Big City

After The Lumberjack and I got back from New York, my company flew me back so I could work for a week out of our office in the Empire State Building. I had no idea I would be going back so soon! Swiss Miss came down from Boston and we got to play for a few days (i.e. mostly drinking and shopping).

This trip to New York gave me a little taste of what it was like to live in a big city. When I got back home it got me thinking about living in the city and I started researching apartments in San Francisco. As amazing as it would be to move to the city, I can’t get over the sticker shock. For twice what I pay now I would have less space and no parking. I really feel for those out there who are living in cramped quarters so I’ve decided to dedicate this post to home design in a small space, big city apartment.

A beautiful New York City studio apartment by Nate Berkus:




Move your couch up against the foot of the bed. This works best when the couch is the same size as the width of the bed. It will also help the “bedroom area" to feel more obvious.

If you want to have a free floating couch in the center of the room, think about placing a desk behind the couch to create your work station. This is much more interesting than having a desk up against a wall.

Place a focal point over the bed to draw the eye up. Since your bed will most likely be the largest piece of furniture in the room, you might as well make a statement. Think: over-sized sparkling mirror or an elongated mural.

The coffee table should be on the smaller side. If you can’t find a glass table then try placing two identical square tables side by side.

Remember, you want to create defined living spaces while still allowing the room to feel open. You’re basically trying to fit a living room, bedroom, kitchen and more into one room. Everything in your apartment needs to be functional and shouldn't take up very much visual space. Minimize clutter and keep in mind that a lighter color palette will work wonders.

Mix it up! When space is limited you have to get really creative. Keep moving furniture around until you feel you’ve gotten it right.


Get Inspired - Studio Living


1 comment:

  1. Good decorating ideas. This reminds me, I need to re-vamp my apartment!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete